Simplify B2B Networking
India is currently the world’s second largest textile and apparel producer behind China. The whole textile and apparel industry represents over 4% of India’s total GDP and more than 14% of country’s export earnings every year, making it the largest manufacturing sector in India. Today, India’s textile and apparel industry is worth about USD 110 billion, with an employment total 105 million people directly and indirectly and is set to create an additional 50 million jobs by 2025.
Here are some of the latest figures and facts about India’s textile and apparel industry, according to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF)
1. The size of India’s textile and apparel market recorded USD 108.5 billion in 2015, and is expected to reach USD 226 billion market by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 8.7% between 2009 to 2023.
2. India’s textile and apparel industry directly employs over 45 million people, which makes it one of the largest source of employment generation in the country.
3. The fundamental strength of the textile industry in India is its strong production base of wide range of fibre/yarns from natural fibres like cotton, jute, silk & wool to synthetic /man-made fibres like polyester, viscose, nylon & acrylic.
4. India is the largest producer of cotton. Cotton production in India reached 6,106 million kg in 2016-17.
5. Production of raw cotton in India grew from 28 million bales in FY2007 and further increased to 35.2 million bales in FY2016. During FY2007-2016, raw cotton production expanded at a CAGR of 2.6%. Among all the amount of raw cotton produced in the country, domestic consumption totalled 30 million bales in FY2016.
6. Cotton yarn, one of the largest segments in India’s fibre market, representing over half of share in India’s total fabric production.
7. Fibre production in India is expected to reach 10 million tonnes by 2017-18, growing from 9 million tonnes in 2015-16.
8. Indian textile industry accounts for about 24% of the world’s spindle capacity and 8% of global rotor capacity.
9. India has the highest loom capacity (including hand looms) with 63% of the world’s market share.
10. India accounts for about 14% of the world’s production of textile fibres & yarns (largest producer of jute, second largest producer of silk and cotton; third largest in cellulosic fibre).
11. India is also the second largest producer of Manmade Fibre and Filament, globally, with production of around 2,511 million kg in2015-16.
12. Production of man-made fibre in India has also been on an upward trend. Production of man-made fibre in India topped 1.34 million tonnes in FY2015. In the first half of FY2016, production stood at 0.77 million tonnes.
13. India’s total textile exports value reached USD40 billion in 2015-16.
14. Readymade garment sector is the largest contributor to India’s total textile and apparel exports, representing around 41% of country’s textile and apparel exports.
15. The technical textile industry in India has witnessed one of the fastest growing rates in recent years, and is expected to reach USD 32 billion by 2023, representing CAGR of 9.6% during 2014-2023.
16. The government has supported the technical textile industry with an allotment of USD 1 billion for SMEs and an exemption in custom duty for raw materials used by the sector.
17. To improve technical skills in the apparel industry, the government established 75 apparel training and design centres across the country.
18. To promote apparel exports, 12 locations have been approved by the government to set up apparel parks for exports.
19. The government is planning to conduct roadshows to promote the country’s textiles in non-traditional markets such as South America, Russia & select countries in West Asia.
20. The textile and apparel industry in India received a record high Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in FY2016, totaling USD 2.4 billion. International apparel giants, such as Hugo Boss, Liz Claiborne, Diesel and Kanz, have already started operations in India.
Thousands of India’s leading textile companies can be in your contact list if you register to join BizVibe today! Whether you are looking reliable suppliers, top textile manufacturers, wholesalers and potential customers in over 90 major countries, or finding out what your competitors are buying and which suppliers they’re using, BizVibe can help you reach out to sales prospects and decision-makers in the textile industry across the globe.
Register for free now to build your own network of global textile companies on BizVibe